Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Full Moon under the Aran Tree


Last night was the first time I've done anything for the full moon in several months. I'm not sure where my disconnect was. I simply was lost. I'm not even really sure what made me go out last night. Partly, I felt spiritually bankrupt. I got out my basket, carefully adding a lighter, a small candle, some incense, a bottle of mead, some water from the Amicolola River, my newly carved hawthorn wand, donned my heavy wool cloak and headed out to Aran. [Aran is the name of the Spirit who resides in the oak tree in my front yard. There is a small stone altar, a bench and 4 standing stones in the four directions.] I set my things out on the altar, not so much in the way I was taught but the way that felt right. I welcomed the directions and all the spirits that dwell in those places. I walked 'round the circle three times to honor the Moon as Maiden, Mother and Crone. As I walked I thought about all the stages of life that women really go through and realized, had I walked 'round once for each, I have been walking a lot more. I wrapped my arms around Aran and gave thanks to the Moon for all the blessings in my life. Then, I simply sat there, gazing at Her. I'd forgotten how bright She is, how soothing Her light (a reflection of the Sun who shines on Her), how truly lovely She is. I remembered a song I had sang with friends many years ago as we danced in Her light and I started to sing: "Under the full moon light we dance Spirits dance, we dance. Joining hands we dance. Joining souls, rejoice!" I sang it over and over and as I sang my heart started to swell. I could feel the joy, the love the peace I had missed for so long. She let me know that no matter how far you go, it's not so far from Home.

1 comment: